The Vienna brewery was founded in St. Petersburg in 1872 by the State Bank executive E.I. Lamansky. One of the co-founders of the brewery was the Austrian Liesinger Brauerei Joint-Stock Brewing Company. It was decided to name the brewery after the Austrian capital – Vienna. In 1882, the Vienna brewery was awarded the gold medal of the European Society of Sciences in Paris for the quality of the produced beer.
Having failed to meet the competition in 1889 the shareholders had to sell the Vienna brewery to the Kalinkin brewery. The brewery was closed and turned into a warehouse where the beer from the main brewery was stored.
Before the beginning of the Siege of Leningrad in 1941, the Vienna brewery stopped its operation and the majority of workers were evacuated. The remaining workers took part in the defence of the city. In autumn 1944 the brewery relaunched operation.
In 1994, the company’s controlling interest was acquired by the Finnish Synebrychoff Brewing Concern, and in 1995 33.3% of the shares were purchased by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. In 1997, Vienna became the first Russian brewing companies to launch a licensed beer brand, Nikolai Synebrychoff, into production. In 1999, the international Carlsberg Brewing Concern increased its shareholding in the equity capital of Sinebrychoff to 100%. Vena joined the global network of Carlsberg breweries. In late November 2001 the shareholding structure of the Vienna brewery changed: the EBRD sold its part of the shares to Carlsberg Group. Baltic Beverages Holding Concern (ВВН) became the principal shareholder of the Vienna brewery.
In June 2004 a major investment project to modernize and expand the productive facilities were completed. Owing to the successful implementation of the 20 mln USD investment project the Vienna brewery became one of the most advanced and high-tech enterprises of the brewing industry in Russia. The annual capacity of the brewery increased up to 1.8 mln hectoliters.
On July 1, 2004 by the decision of the principal shareholder BBH, the operational merger of Zolotoy Ural Brewing Company OJSC and Vienna OJSC started. The legal merger of Zolotoy Ural Brewing Company OJSC and Vienna OJSC completed on May 3, 2005.
As a result the merged Vienna brewery turned into a company of the national scale selling its products in more than 70 cities and towns of Russia. The leading brands of the company were Nevskoe, premium Russian beer, Uralsky Master, regional economy segment beer, as well as licensed Tuborg brand.
In 2005, the merger of Vienna with Baltika Breweries OJSC, Pikra OJSC and Yarpivo OJSC was announced and completed in the late 2006.
Baltika-Vienna brewery became the second production site of the company in St Petersburg. However, due to the growing pressure on the industry in the recent years Baltika had to close the brewery due to excess capacity in St Petersburg. At present Baltika-Vienna serves as office premises for the sales team and as a warehouse. The brewing equipment has been distributed among other production sites in Russia. The production function has been fully transferred to Baltika-St Petersburg brewery